In a report issued on Tuesday, the ministry said those suspended were found to be working illegally in the country and breaching regulations for the employment of foreign workers.
The report said the suspensions took place during a National Mining and Civil Construction Inspection Campaign which began on February 20 this year after an IGT brigade in Inhambane visited the Sasol facilities in the district of Inhassoro.
According to the report the inspection discovered that 34 foreign workers were contravening the employment regulations, 17 of whom were South Africans.
“Of this number, 6 workers, despite having submitted certificates of hiring under the quota system, did not meet the conditions for the exercise of their roles, since the company had already exhausted the quota to which it is legally entitled, hence they should have requested permission from the Minister of Labour, Employment and Social Security, while the other 11 workers did not present any document authorizing them to work in Mozambique at all,” the Ministry of Labour, Employment and Social Security claimed.
Sasol said at the time that 10 of the 11 workers were working on a short-term basis and one as a service provider, but did not present any work permits enabling them to work in the country.
A further 17 workers without permits were identified at Sasol Petroleum Mozambique and immediately suspended.
Those identified were of British, Iranian, Canadian, Brazilian, US and South African nationality.