Mozambique-Disaster-Cyclone

Cyclone Kenneth: EU supports Mozambique, Comoros recovery efforts

APA-Maputo (Mozambique)

The European Union has pledged €1.5 million to assist Mozambique and the Comoros respond to the effects of Cyclone Kenneth that has caused widespread destruction in the two countries since last week.

In a statement on Sunday, EU commissioner for humanitarian aid and crisis management, Christos Stylianides said the bloc was providing an initial €1.5 million to help the people affected by torrential rains and the destruction of infrastructure in Mozambique and Comoros.

"Mozambique faces a double catastrophe, as a devastating second cyclone hits the country in little more than a month," Stylianides said.

He said the EU “is acting swiftly to provide essential goods, especially given that Mozambique is still recovering from Cyclone Idai”, which hit the southeast African country in March and resulted in massive destruction of infrastructure and claimed over 1,000 lives.

According to Stylianides, the new EU funding is meant to provide food aid, emergency shelter, water and sanitation, basic essential goods and support for emergency telecommunications for those most in need.

Cyclone Kenneth has caused torrential rains and high winds in northern Mozambique, causing people to evacuate from their homes, deterioration of infrastructure, and loss of agricultural crops.

The cyclones made landfall in Cabo Delgado province in northern Mozambique on April 25, with a wind speed exceeding 200 kilometres per hour but before that it had passed very close to the north coast of the island of Grande Comore.

CM/jn/APA

React to this article