At least four people have been beheaded and about 10,000 Mozambicans have fled their homes in the past week as a new wave of jihadist-related violence sweeps across the country’s troubled Cabo Delgado province, Save the Children charity said Wednesday.
According to the charity, the new wave of violent attacks has uprooted people from Ancuabe district of the province from 2-9 June.
“The incidents triggered the displacement of nearly 10,000 people, and it is estimated that at least four people were beheaded in the attacks, the first of their kind in this district,” it said.
Ancuabe had previously been considered safe from violence and is hosting substantial numbers of families who had already been displaced from other districts and were living in camps.
"This new wave of attacks and displacement is particularly concerning as it affects children who were already uprooted and are witnessing fighting for the second time,” Save the Children country director Brechtje van Lith said.
The surge in violence also saw the Islamic State-linked jihadists killing a member of a southern African regional intervention force last week as well as two workers at an Australian-owned graphite mine, Triton Mineral.