The South African government and other stakeholders are pooling all resources available to ensure that three provinces hit by last month’s floods fully recover from the disaster, President Cyril Ramaphosa said on Monday.
Writing in his weekly letter to the nation following his weekend visit to Durban, Ramaphosa said the flooding claimed the lives of at least 435 people in KwaZulu-Natal alone – apart from causing other deaths, extensive damage to homes and infrastructure in the North West and Eastern Cape provinces.
Visiting KwaZulu Natal for the second time since the floods last month, Ramaphosa said any concerns regarding the government’s ability to rebuild and recover were misplaced.
“The National Disaster Management Centre has been coordinating all spheres of government in their efforts to provide humanitarian relief to the many households that have been affected,” the president said.
He added: “It has been pleasing to see the NGO community, business and relief organisations joining in working with government to provide much-needed relief assistance.”
He said all stakeholders have “provided food, clothes, blankets, dignity packs and school uniforms to vulnerable families to meet their basic needs.”
“Work has started to build temporary residences for affected families on state-owned land parcels identified in KwaZulu-Natal for possible resettlement,” Ramaphosa said.