The intervention, the ministry said on Monday, was in an effort to assist the affected passengers in a tourist bus carrying South Africans and Egyptians.
In a brief statement, the office said Minister Lindiwe Sisulu had been informed of the incident by South African Ambassador to Egypt, Vusi Mavimbela.
“Ambassador Vusi Mavimbela and his team in Egypt are engaging with authorities, including visiting hospitals, to verify the information and report back to Pretoria.
“Those who seek to verify the whereabouts of their loved ones can call the 24-hour Call Centre for any information on 012 351 1000,” the ministry said.
Initial reports said that seven South Africans had been injured in the blast which hit their tourist bus as they visited the pyramids in Giza, just outside of the Egyptian capital Cairo.