just now

    Swaziland-Courts-Murder

    Swazi court opposes bail for football boss's alleged killer

    APA-Mbabane (Swaziland)

    The High Court in Mbabane has filed a notice of intention to oppose a bail application for Sipho Shongwe, the businessman arrested and charged with the murder of Premier League of Swaziland (PLS) Chairman Victor Gamedze.

    Principal Crown Counsel, Absalom Makhanya said on Wednesday that they would file their complaint against the bail when the chief investigator returns from South Africa where he is leading a team to probe the suspect’s previous conviction in that country.

    The 48-year-old suspect had told the court during a bail mitigation trial that he was once arrested and convicted at a Bronkhorspruit Court where he was sentenced to 27 years for a $1.4 million heist which resulted to the death of two police officers.

    Shongwe’s Attorney Sipho Mnisi stated before Judge Sipho Nkosi that he has since appointed South African advocate Jacobus Coetzee Janseen Van Vureen to represent his client when he appears in court in his next hearing next Wednesday.

    The murder case was opened on the night of 14 January 2018 when Victor Gamedze who also owned Mbabane Swallows Football Club was shot twice at a Galp Filling Station in Ezulwini where he had made a stop-over on his return from watching his team’s 3-1 victory at the Somhlolo National Stadium, about five kilometres away.

    So far Shongwe who coincidentally also owns Matsapha United Football Club, is the only suspect behind bars while the police are searching for one Mbuso Ncanza Nkosi (a South African), Sicelo Dzodzo, Zikalala Luthano and another suspect whose name has not been revealed despite the police releasing his pictures.


    BM/as/APA

    React to this article