APA-Pretoria (South Africa) More than 15,000 households are currently without electricity after supply was cut following floods that hit South Africa’s Western Cape province earlier this week, Electricity Minister Kgosientsho Ramokgopa says.
Addressing journalists late Tuesday, Ramokgopa said the households were part of more than 82,000 properties disconnected due to the floods in the province at the weekend.
“We had over 82,000 customers that were disconnected as a result of the inclement weather in the Western Cape and I’m happy to indicate that as we speak, the latest [indication] I’ve been given is that 67,000 of those customers have been reconnected and only 15,000 are remaining to be connected,” the minister said.
A storm hit the Cape Town area and the larger Western Cape province for three days, causing rivers to burst their banks and flood residential areas and major roads and forcing hundreds of people to be evacuated.
Local officials said three people died after they were swept away by flood waters in the mainly agricultural region of Overberg, more than 100 kilometres east of Cape Town.