Zambia’s police have arrested 11 people in connection with a suspected armed insurrection plot after a raid in Lusaka’s Kabulonga area uncovered military weapons and ammunition, officials said Sunday.
Zambia’s police have arrested 11 people suspected of involvement in a plan to stage an armed insurrection following a joint operation in Lusaka’s Kabulonga area on 13 August.
Secretary to the Cabinet Patrick Kangwa said the suspects had been under surveillance for several years, with intensified monitoring in recent months.
He said they were allegedly linked to illegal military training camps and foreign nationals, posing what government described as a serious threat to state security.
During the raid, occupants of the premises opened fire on law enforcement officers, prompting an exchange of gunfire.
Police seized restricted high‑grade military weapons, ammunition and other materials said to have been intended for use in an insurrection.
Several suspects fled and remain unaccounted for.
Among those arrested are George Chisanga, Bishop Trevor Mwamba, Simon Phiri, Richard Banda, Francis Mulenga and Patrick Mwansa.
All are being held in custody at police stations across Lusaka. Kangwa said families and lawyers would be granted access to the detainees.
Government also confirmed that Brian Mundubile, presidential candidate for the New Revolution Party (NRPUP), was allegedly found at the scene.
The statement did not specify whether Mundubile has been charged, arrested, or is being treated as a witness or person of interest.
The arrests were announced two days after Zambia’s 13 August general election, during a period when the vote count was suspended amid legal challenges.
Authorities did not draw an explicit connection between the Kabulonga operation and the electoral dispute, but the timing places the announcement within the contested count period.
Investigations are ongoing, and officials said the public would be kept informed of developments.
JN/APA





